Bishop Dr. D. C. Gorai was appointed as the first Bishop of the CNI with its inauguration in 1970. He was born in Sarenga in the District of Bankura, West Bengal on January 15, 1934. After completing his school education, he took admission in Bankura Christian College and graduated from there.
In 1968 Bishop Gorai was the full time secretary of the Bible Society of India, Calcutta Auxiliary. He demonstrated creative initiative and engaged himself in real sacrificial ministry of the Church towards caring and sharing at the grassroots level.
During his tenure, twenty seven new churches and six parsonages were built. In addition to this a number of schools and hostels were built. In the Diocese of Barrackpore, he got many churches and parsonages thoroughly renovated.
In 1980 Bishop Gorai was appointed as the Deputy Moderator of the CNI. This was a befetting recognition of his dynamic leadership of the CNI. He was unanimously elected Bishop of Calcutta Diocese on January 6th, 1982 by the Episcopal Electorate Body at New Delhi. He was installed in St. Paul’s Cathedral on March 7th, 1982.
A man of boundless energy, bubbling with new ideas and a passion for rendering help and advice to the common man, Bishop Gorai served the Church for many years and helped the Diocese of Calcutta to become a pioneer in various fields under his guidance and leadership. He was the first non-Anglican Bishop and also Moderator of the CNI (1983 – 1986)
[...Back to Bishops of Calcutta Page]