3, Church Road, Howrah – 711 101
St Thomas’ Church, which was erected in 1830, owes its establishment mainly to the exertions of Rev. Professor Holmes of the East India Company. He was also the Principal of the Bishop’s College and wished to provide a place of worship for the local populace. This Church, spread over five bighas of land, was completed in 1830 and was consecrated in 1832 by Bishop Daniel Wilson. It was named St. Thomas Church in 1843. Prior to that, it was known simply as the Howrah Church.
The architect of this Church, which was built in accordance with Gothic architecture, was William Jones. It has a seating capacity of three hundred people. In 1832 five men and a woman were baptized here from this district and in 1833-34 thirty eight others were accepted for baptisim. They were examined twice by the Bishop who found their conduct to be ‘quite satisfactory’. In 1855 twenty six men and women were prepared for baptisim, but were rejected by the Bishop as they were aspiring only for monetary benefits.
St. Thomas’ Church, Howrah is not without a certain beauty and prettiness. A handsome marble font has been presented to commemorate John Stalkart of Ghoosery who was a member of the Church for over sixty years and whose hospitality was remembered by his friends. The beautiful stained glass windows forming a backdrop to the altar, depict the tragic grandeur of Christ’s crucifixion and have survived the test of time.
The Pastorate Committee of this Church also looks after Sadhu Sunder Singh Girja, St Lukes’ Church, Boikhali and Prabhu Jishu Girja. These three Churches are in the ooghly district and come under the Calcutta Diocese. The Church being situated in the cetre of St Thomas’ Church School, flanked by the senior and junior school buildings on either side, is actively used by students and teachers alike. During weekdays the school conducts it morning assemblies here. Special commemorative functions of the school, including Patronal Day, Teachers Day and Prefects Investiture ceremony are held in the hallowed precincts of this place of divine worship.
Today after one hundred and eighty years, as we move towards further milestones in the propagation of the Christian faith and the history of St Thomas’ Church, we go forward with gratitude and gratefulness to God for having instilled us with the Holy Spirit, always remembering that ‘all things come from Him and of His own do we give unto Him’.
[...back to Churches Page]