St. John's Diocesan Girls' Higher Secondary School

St. John’s Diocesan Girls' Higher Secondary School is one of the oldest educational institutions for women in Kolkata.  The school was founded in 1894 by the Clewer Sisters of the convent of John the Baptist.  The school has completed a 116 year of its glorious existence. The school was first started by Ms. Angelina Margaret Hoare, a missionary from Kent, England in 1876. 

Till the 1970s, boys were also admitted to the school, which was later on stopped, realising a greater need for good educational institutions for women in Kolkata.  St. John’s Diocesan was the first only Christian Women’s College of good repute in Eastern India, from the period of 1908 to 1931.  The college status of Diocesan was revoked in 1931, by the British Government as a student and freedom fighter Beena Das shot at Governor Stanley Jackson on the 7th of April 1931. 

At present the school provides holistic development to more than 3,800 women, 99% of whom come from lower middle class families of West Bengal.

Official Website of the School

[...Back to Schools Main Page]